FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Open Call For Video Art : An Installation Of Aural/Visual Synthesis
At MMMicrofestival : An Evening Of Music, Movement & Multimedia
On December 8th, 2010, REDEFINE magazine and InterArts will be curating MMMicroFestival – An Evening of Music, Movement, and Multimedia – at Holocene in Portland, Oregon. The inventive evening will feature cross-disciplinary projects and performances, including four musical acts, three performance pieces, and one video installation. (Complete event details here.)
A community-rooted project of aural and visual synthesis, the side room installation will feature an open call for video art. Portland/Seattle-based musical trio Hoop Dreams will be offering forth “Spirit Momentum,” a track from their forthcoming debut album. Artists of all disciplines and persuasions are invited to submit their video interpretations of the track, which, at one-minute-and-thirteen-seconds long, is chock full of visual fodder. Watery beats, ghostly vocals, and glitched-out sound effects float in and out without commitment, giving plenty of audio cues for artists to interpret to their liking.
December 5th, 2010, at 11:59PM
The video art piece must:
• Use the available “Spirit Momentum” track in its entirety — no more and no less (1:13);
• Are original pieces of art;
• Include the Name, E-mail Address, Title, and Statement Of Work from the artist.
DIGITALLY: Please submit your file digitally to email@example.com via a third-party file-sharing program such as DropSend, in whatever format you choose.
PHYSICALLY: Please send a DVD to: 2939 SE Taylor St., Portland, OR 97214 (DVD must be post-marked by December 1st, 2010). Materials will not be returned.
Entries will be synced up with “Spirit Momentum” and be shown on continuous loop, offering viewers a sequence of unique takes on the song.
By submitting your entry, you will be allowing Hoop Dreams, REDEFINE magazine, and InterArts to include your work in the December 8th, 2010 Holocene show, as well as future installations of the same show.
HOOP DREAMS features Aaron Chapman and John Bowers of the indie psych-pop band Nurses (Dead Oceans), and Ryan Chapman; the project is essentially the result of three multi-instrumentalists loosening their reins on traditional songwriting. Dub-influenced beats, layered vocals spanning multiple octaves of harmony, and mysterious electronic noises evoke vaguely familiar feelings of nostalgia. Despite their short durations, Hoop Dreams tracks sit densely upon the human psyche.
Also available is a black-and-white music video for the haunting “With You,” shot with a Super 8 camera by band member Ryan Chapman. You can hear the track and view the video below:
Latest posts by Vivian Hua (see all)
- TOP POPS! Tei Shi, Shy Girls, Oko Tygra, Force Publique (Track Premiere) - March 16, 2015
- DREAMFORCE (#37) Austin SXSW 2015 Unofficial House Party Announcement & Mixtape - March 2, 2015
- The Tribe – Плем’я – Plemya Film Review (Ukraine) - February 17, 2015
- Portland International Film Festival (PIFF) 2015 Film Previews & Selections - February 2, 2015
- Sara Jackson-Holman – “Haunt Me” Music Video Premiere (Natasha Kmeto Remix) - January 28, 2015