“The idea of what is unnatural is of course, a very subjective matter. There’s a few things that could make the list without much debate, like freak accidents, deformities, miracles, apparitions, magic, or everlasting-life. Without actually taking down statistical evidence of all such occurrences though, how do we know they actually don’t fall within the realm of what is “normal” and “natural?” Our ideas of the unnatural are based in the influences of society and culture. Even then, we are sometimes expected to fight what is natural with all our might (e.g. aging, death), other times we scorn and fear what is seemingly bizarre and freakish. Either way, this is a topic that we all can approach, perhaps from a personal relationship with the unnatural, even within one’s self, to those things that make us the most uncomfortable.”
First Friday Opening Reception: December 3rd, 2010, 7-10 p.m.
Golden Rule Gallery, 811 E. Burnside, Suite 122, Portland, OR 97214
Show runs December 2nd, 2010 through January 2nd, 2011
For me, the most appealing works lie in some of the photographic works (not to say that the others don’t have value).
Check it out:
Latest posts by Vivian Hua (see all)
- Top Albums of the Year 2013: Staff Picks - December 9, 2013
- My Darling Fury – Spilled Milk MP3 Download & Premiere - December 4, 2013
- Jimmy Edgar Artist Interview: Building Rainbow-Colored Bridges Between Music, Aesthetics & Metaphysical Ideas - December 2, 2013
- Top Pops! November 2013: Gardens & Villa, Dum Dum Girls, Howard Ivans, Starlight Girls, JMSN, The Slims - November 29, 2013
- Chilla[xxx]ation (#28): A Minimal, Soulful Electronic Mixtape Download & Stream - November 22, 2013