“The idea of what is unnatural is of course, a very subjective matter. There’s a few things that could make the list without much debate, like freak accidents, deformities, miracles, apparitions, magic, or everlasting-life. Without actually taking down statistical evidence of all such occurrences though, how do we know they actually don’t fall within the realm of what is “normal” and “natural?” Our ideas of the unnatural are based in the influences of society and culture. Even then, we are sometimes expected to fight what is natural with all our might (e.g. aging, death), other times we scorn and fear what is seemingly bizarre and freakish. Either way, this is a topic that we all can approach, perhaps from a personal relationship with the unnatural, even within one’s self, to those things that make us the most uncomfortable.”
First Friday Opening Reception: December 3rd, 2010, 7-10 p.m.
Golden Rule Gallery, 811 E. Burnside, Suite 122, Portland, OR 97214
Show runs December 2nd, 2010 through January 2nd, 2011
For me, the most appealing works lie in some of the photographic works (not to say that the others don’t have value).
Check it out:
Latest posts by Vivian Hua (see all)
- Spectral Hypnosis: Stellar OM Source, HITS (Track Premiere) - May 20, 2015
- H. Film Review (Rania Attieh & Daniel Garcia, 2014) - May 18, 2015
- Spectral Hypnosis: Contact Cult (Music Video Premiere), We Are Ghosts - May 12, 2015
- TOP POPS! Shameboy, Rebeka, XUXA Santamaria (Video Premiere) - April 24, 2015
- Spectral Hypnosis: Föllakzoid, Archival Feedback (Track Premiere) - April 21, 2015