Fuck My Wedding takes up where its predecessor Fuck My Life ends. Javier (Ariel Levy) proposes to his berserkly attractive girlfriend Ángela (Andrea Velasco) after she accidentally gets pregnant. From the onset, it is clear that Javier’s head isn’t in the relationship, as he is tempted by his boss’s daughter Lucia (Lorenzo Izzo), and romantic comedy affairs follow. Javier makes mistakes, Angela sticks with him, breaking points are reached, and whether the couple stay together or not becomes the underlying theme.
Director Nicolás López does a good job of keeping the laughs coming throughout Fuck My Wedding. Jávier’s mother’s rotating collection of tracksuits keep the ridiculousness of her character aloof, and outside of a rather unnecessary, slightly racist bit on the topic of an adopted Haitian child, most of the jokes come in the form of good humor and taste. Jávier somehow maintains a slightly loveable demeanor despite being one of the most moronic fiances seen this side of the Panama Canal.
At its heart, Fuck My Wedding is a slightly inoffensive and pretty standard romantic comedy. Of course, the problem with this is that most standard romantic comedies aren’t anything to write home about. Although López tries to keep it a bit different at times, Fuck My Wedding still falls victim to standard cliches that drown a lot of romantic comedies, with characters making decisions that no real person would ever make. But that is the beauty of cinema, perhaps; individuals like the bumbling, yet loveable, Javier still have a fighting chance with the beauties of the world.
SEATTLE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL 2012 SCREENINGS
June 6th @ 3:30pm, Harvard Exit Theatre
Latest posts by Peter Woodburn (see all)
- Iceland Airwaves 2013 Festival Preview: Managing an Overwhelming Schedule of Icelandic & International Musicians - October 25, 2013
- Russian Circles – Memorial Album Review (Sargent House) - October 24, 2013
- Nils Frahm & Ólafur Arnalds Conversational Interview: Modern Classical Composers in the New Electronic Age - October 21, 2013
- Aural Devastation, October 2013: Cloudkicker, Jesu, Doomriders, Mutoid Man, Black God - October 18, 2013
- Fuck Buttons Band Interview: Slow Focus Into Constructive View - October 10, 2013