Toro Y Moi
Toro Y Moi recently premiered “Rose Quartz” as a single, by way of live videos from Pitchfork Festival in Chicago. Not much to say here as this is definitely not breaking any new ground or blowing any minds. It’s just solid, soulfully mellowed out funky house — kind of the lowest common denominator for introducing such sounds into the indie mainstream.
TORO Y MOI TOUR DATES
* = w/ The Choir Quit, Can’t Kids
8/26 – Brooklyn, NY – Afropunk Festival
9/26 – Durham, NC – Motorco Music Hall
9/27 – Asheville, NC – Orange Peel *
9/28 – Charleston, SC – Music Farm *
9/29 – Fairburn, GA – Counterpoint Music Festival
10/13 – San Francisco, CA – Treasure Island Music Festival
Portland’s Shy Girls recently played PDXPOPNOW! and has the town abuzz for their live shows, which are apparently less like a solo bedroom pop and indie R&B act (which is what the recordings infer) and more like a tribute to ’60s and ’70s soul, complete with full band and back-up singers. A four-track EP for Sex In The City is available free for download HERE, but the opening track, “Gonna Get My Name Back”, is by far the best.
Bryan Ellis’ “SHE” has an incredibly obnoxious music video, but its early ’90s trip-hop throwback beats mixed with falsetto vocals make it well-suited for twirling beneath a beautiful haze. His EP, Cloud Of Unknowing, can be heard in its entirety via Pigeons & Planes, HERE.
Latest posts by Vivian Hua (see all)
- Chad Wys Artist Interview: Colorful Blurs of Digital & Analog (Colorburst 003) - August 14, 2014
- Bear In Heaven – Time Between Music Video (Interview w/ Jon Philpot & Director Nick Bentgen) - August 8, 2014
- I Origins Film Review & Interview w/ Director Mike Cahill: Notes on Spiritual Subjectivity and Artistic Magnetism - August 7, 2014
- Mark Dorf Artist Interview: Scientific Approaches to Artistic Practice (Geometric Spaces 002) - August 4, 2014
- Alice Cohen Animator Interview & Music Video Retrospective - July 28, 2014