See full artwork and stream the entirety of DARKSUMMER at the bottom of this post.
Belgium digital and mixed media artist Arn Gyssels took the lo-fi route, creating a work of symmetrical beauty that morphs in and out of vaguely distinguishable human figures.
Illustrator and video editor Daniel Cantrell has quite the brilliantly deranged sense of humor, as you’ll see from this mash-up video (complete with custom sounds, alien eyes, and social commentary)!
Hoop Dreams band member and honorary in-house visual artist Ryan Chapman spins chicken heads in his video rendition for “Spirit Momentum,” using footage from things near and dear to the band — basketball games (obviously) and chickens named Fart Mom (seriously).
As curator of the video series, I took a valiant stab at interpreting this track using old biology videos and very intensive, sound cue-heavy editing.
Well-known and well-reputed glitch artist Evan Meaney graces us with his colorful presence, providing a change of place with a uniquely abstract contribution.
Chicago-by-way-of-Portland video artist Jesse Malmed loves neon and engaging his audience with social mind trickery. This is one tiny but intense look into those tendencies.
Scott Amos of Oily Films was invited to create a video for reasons of synchronistic humor. His choice of titling his film projects under the name of Oily Films aligned with the fact that the members of HOOPDREAMS frequently used the adjective “oily” to describe anything in the upper eschelon of awesomeness. It is highly recommended that you full-screen this and step back. Though the video may seem initially like text-based noise, there is some semblance of order here that really works well with the music.
DARKSUMMER Full Album Stream
Latest posts by Vivian Hua (see all)
- Vessel – Punish, Honey Album Review (Tri Angle Records) - September 19, 2014
- Emerald & Doreen Records (#34) Futuristic Pop Music Mixtape - September 18, 2014
- Phebe Schmidt Photographer Interview: The Plasticity of the Mundane - September 12, 2014
- MusicFestNW & Bumbershoot Festival 2014: Comparing & Contrasting Two Long-Running Pacific NW Festivals - September 4, 2014
- Top Pops! The Ting Tings, ODESZA, Kilo Kish, synaesthete, Eyelid Kid, Love Inks, S.O.S. Band - August 31, 2014